Wednesday, May 4, 2016

if places were people. no. 2

Just allow me this moment to say that I LOVE THESE PICTURES THAT I TOOK and also a warning to prep yourself for another rather sad people/places analogy/rant. #sorrynotsorry 



































our lane. as in, yours and mine.
open and honest, the towering brown rabbit of a house nested against a row of ponderosas,
three of them a three-headed dog.
if you follow where the driveway points, an arm into the wilderness
you end up in the stream-bottom, hidden heart of the wood, 
wandering water trickling down from a lake 30 miles away, 30 years up the canyon.
you end up in an aspen grove with a random pond 
in the middle where we don’t ice skate in the winter
because we don’t know if it freezes and none of us are brave enough to find out.
none of us want to be eaten by water.
you have to walk down a hill to get there. 
it’s the same hill we go sledding on in winter, dangerous, 
like an angry boyfriend, but alluring in the same way. 
you have to take a 6-foot sidestep to avoid the sister of a bush with inch-long thorns.
around all this are the fatherly fields, that take away the view of the highway and when you lean
down it looks like the grass stems have been dipped in gold-making water, 
except the water is the sky and it's blue as eyes, blue as ice.
and even beyond that are the step-mother mountains, protective, leaning in to eavesdrop your secrets,
passing them on to the wild animals that snicker in the night. 
the mountains where snow shows up in september 
and doesn’t leave until june 
the very heart of them is ice and 
you know that if you started walking through them, 
if you tried to leave, you’d never reach the other side.

and if you look at where the mountains start and 
follow the pointed ears and the pointed hair 
up up up up and over 
until you reach the pointed ears and pointed hair 
on the other side with a playpen for the sun and moon and stars in between, 
where geese dip their wings in the spring and fall
clouds parade and wander and fight 
you swear that if you look hard enough the blue of the sky turns into the blue of the sea
the whispers of the wind gossips that live in the trees turn into 
lullabies of sea goddesses and gold grass turns to gold sand 
but either way you know that if you started walking through the mountains or you started flying
through the sky or the sea 
either way you know that you won’t make it out the other side.

and you know that if you did, if you did start walking or flying, and you changed your mind 
half-way, and you started walking back, 
the damage would be done. 
your stepmother would be broken and old, and your father wouldn’t be gold grass covered anymore,
he would be simply dirt and the few remnants of brown field, 
and the sister thorn bush would be gone and the boyfriend would be married to the stream 
and let’s face it:          if you leave now it will never be the same.

8 comments:

  1. WHOA WHOA WHOA HOWWWWW??????
    HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    I CAN'T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OKAY THAT WAS REALLY VAGUE OF ME. WHAT I MEAN IS THAT I CANNOT EVEN AT THE MOMENT COMPREHEND THE BEAUTY OF UNIQUENESS OF YOUR WRITING. IT IS INCREDIBLE AND SERIOUSLY UNLIKE ANYTHING I'VE READ BEFORE. LIKE WOW. WOWOWOOWOWW. HAVE I ALREADY SAID THAT I CAN'T EVEN RIGHT NOW??? I CAN'T EVEN RIGHT NOW.

      The way you describe everything tho! I was THERE. Seeing everything you were painting with your words. In this other dimension. That was stunning. NEVER NEVER NEVER STOP WRITING BECAUSE HOLY SMOKES YOU ARE GIFTED, WOMAN.

      wow. ♥

      Delete
    2. oh abbiee! (i am laughing SO HARD at your two comments X) "that was really vague of me" you're hilarious!) You're also very sweet! Fun fact: this idea came from a writing professor of mine...he wanted us to write as if we were running into a person from our past, but 30 years from now, focusing on memory and place...and, well, originally THIS: http://thejourneyofhere.blogspot.com/2016/02/if-places-were-people-no-1-needs-pics.html came out. but then i was like, what if all places were people? and what would that look like, and thats how the post on this page happened, AND NOW i'm thinking about doing one about the oregon coast because that is like my most favoritest place EVER. do you have any other ideas? :)
      thank you for your sweet thoughts and words! :) i needed them....
      ok, and you're TOTALLY WOW, GIRL.

      Delete
    3. ok, Abbiee: actually THIS: http://thejourneyofhere.blogspot.com/2016/02/lend-me-your-earsor-eyes-whatever.html describes it best...like, the second half of it (the first half is just me blabbering).

      Delete
    4. OKAY SAMI. I CANNOT EVEN VISIBLY OR COHERENTLY EXPRESS(not even in all caps so I'm just going to stop yelling?? MAYBE?? OKAY MAYBE NOT.)

      YOU
      ARE
      SO
      TALENTED
      WITH
      WORDS.

      I just went off and read both of those posts and liTERALLY (NOT KIDDING) HAD TO HOLD MY HEAD TOGETHER SO IT DID NOT EXPLODE. LIKE I HAD MY HANDS ON MY HEAD THAT'S HOW HARD MY MIND WAS BLOWING. LIKE....WHAT

      OKAY. *deep breaths*
      I'm going to link both of these pieces into my blog post tomorrow if that's okay?? OMG I CAN'T GET OVER THE BEAUTY. LIKE I'M GOING TO HAVE TO READ THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN THEY ARE SOME OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PIECES I HAVE READ IN FOREVER. <3 WOW. ACK.

      you deserve all the waffles omg.

      usually I can be super coherent and quote snippets and coherently talk about them but i cannot here now ever for this. you've just you've debilitated me with your amazing words.

      again. wow. ♥

      Delete
    5. I seriously can't even make words right now I AM SO HONORED :D :D :D ABBBIIEEE gosh I'm blushing YOU ARE SO SWEET. :) (totally link them. I love links) thank you!!! :)

      Delete
  2. YOU WRITING IS SO SO VERY BEAUTIFUL. And vivid. And visual. And and yessssss. I have no real intelligent thoughts here, just that I'm in awe. XD And I LOVE those photos, omg, especially the colours in that first one. *falls mildly in love with photography* 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ ^_^ Thanks Cait!! gah...that first pic is probably one of my best, like, ever...I LOVE IT.

      Delete