Friday, July 22, 2016

if places were people no.3


I thought you were a shortcut.

You took us the long way 'round.
With stops at every station.
Pauses after every sentence.

We never went
faster than
50 miles an hour.

26 hours is a long time to sit and stare
memorize each other's faces, skin lit up by
dimness of walkway lights, reflecting off the scratched, plastic-y windows.

Maniacal laughing clatter of steel wheel against steel track
annoying complaint of rubber window lining against foggy glass to the outside
Almost distant stubborn stomach grumble of the machine taking us to somewhere

You are that in-between place
That interpretation
That 'please wait while document loads' symbol.

You will always come back
But sometimes you will sleep
And Destination will take your place

Sometimes you will go on holiday
And Preparation will visit
To get us ready for you again.

Sometimes your face will change.
You'll grow a beard, or something else ridiculous will happen,
Like the time your eyes changed colors.
And sometimes I will need to memorize that face
Over again.
Take the journey twice.

Sometimes you don't make sense.
And yet you are almost constant and consistent
But you are nothing twice
You are never the same
You are In-between

We had better get used to it because
Consistent is different than static
And change is different from chaos

And sometimes you will drive the train backwards
And north will be west
And east will be south.

And I don't mind.
I love you very much, more than I thought I would,
Because I thought you were a shortcut, someone
I could pass by without a second glance
And you very much weren't.

Which is to say
I like your scenic routes better.

In-between is nice.
Even though it is the definition of patience
and You never had a dictionary.

Which is to say
I thought you were a shortcut
And you showed me the world
And stole my calendar
And my time
And my heart
And now,
I live for the limbo
The in-between
The changing
The unexpected hairpin curve that says
Pay attention.
You don't have time for second glances.
You may not come this way again.











(WHAAAAATTTT. Yeah. Hi. I'm not dead or anything I just haven't posted in FOREVER. Sorry 'bout that. But anyway, if you're interested, the idea for this one was from the train trip we took last October. Fun stuff. LOVE Y'ALL. I'm going to post again soon so stay tuned.)

(ANOTHER NOTE BECAUSE I FORGET THINGS: remember last year when i did that blogtober series? I NEVER DID DAY 18 (the horror) but it was supposed to be "This week I..." and really, that week before the 18th i had gone on a train trip, which is what this post was based on. basically: i finally finished blogtober and its july. isn't that great?)

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. This is beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS. this. woah. <33
    Man, this hit deep...it's so beautiful and good ♥
    also your photography is so lovely!!

    -Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) GAAH danke Autumn! i am so glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. Poetry like yours always makes me happy and wonder and fill with excitement. I loved your guest post on Abbiee's blog, by the way! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! i love the series Abbie is doing, too :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love this. The words are beautiful, breath-taking, vivid. And the photos are unbelievably gorgeous.

    Also, I love train trips. :)

    Serena
    poetree {blog} | editing services

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Serena! (fun fact, this the train/travel portion of this trip wasn't actually that great (SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOONNNGGGGG) but the rest of the trip was! actually i think i had to wait to write about it until now so that way the bad memories would fade LOL)

      Delete
  5. sdghjk;fljjJSGADJKSFKANS
    DID SOMEONE JUST HEAR ME SCREAM
    OR MY MIND BLOW
    <3 <3 <3

    HOW DO I WORDS. THIS IS SO AMAZING.

    "The unexpected hairpin curve that says
    Pay attention.
    You don't have time for second glances.
    You may not come this way again."

    ^^^^^^^ thissssssss hit me so hard. at one point, I said out loud, "whoa. this is deep." GAAAAAAHDFGJKL JUST LIKE IT DID SOMETHING TO MY SOUL OK

    HOW DO YOU DO THAT
    ♥ ♥ ♥

    >><<
    abbiee

    p.s. kind of squealed when i saw the title bc this series of poems is my favorite thing in the universe <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABBBIIIEEEEE aaaahhh I asked myself the same question. (Like, "WHAT ON EARTH DID I JUST WRITE THAT DID NOT COME FROM ME DID THAT COME FROM ME I DID NOT KNOW THAT HOW HOW HOW"

      But seriously. SO glad you liked it. Your comment made my heart happy ☺️☺️☺️❤️❤️❤️

      Delete
  6. This is soo beautiful, the photos and words both. <3 I'm so glad I came across your blog :)

    love,
    arushee

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOLY MACKEREL THIS KILLS ME PRETTY MUCH. i love this concept, the idea (if places were people) and your photos are so simply stunning, i love how you see the little beauty of everyday things.

    (p.s. also i have moved to a new space!! you can now find me at wakemeup-blog.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete